Thursday, August 23, 2012

Broken Bones

I am not a good blogger but I haven't given up.  With a little (sarcasm inserted) push from my sister Kati and I am updating this evening.  The Flom's have had a very interesting month.  Let's back up 3 weeks shall we...

August 2nd:
I had an afternoon prenatal visit at 1:20 which was poor planning on my part since that was right during Ethan's nap time.  We ate lunch and headed to my mom and dad's house so Ethan could play and nap there while Josh and I ran to the appointment.  I got back to my parents house after 2:30 and heard Ethan crying.  I searched all over the house and found him with Auntie NeNe (Kortney) down in her room trying to still get him to nap.   I figured he had to be OVER TIRED since he was crying so hard... like mother like son... right?!?! :)  Well turns out that was probably part of the problem but there was another thing bothering him.

Before that he snuck away being the hurricane he is and got into the guest bedroom.  Ethan loves to climb on beds and jump on them so since no one was with him I can only imagine this is what he was doing.  (This one I am blaming dad for since he always lets Ethan jump in his crib- busted Josh).  Well before long everyone in the house heard a thunk and what did they find... Ethan between the bed and the wall.  Mom and Kortney checked him over and he seemed okay minus the fact he wouldn't stop crying. 

When I went down to see Ethan I brought him upstairs, looked him over myself and nothing stood out to me either so I rocked him and within minutes he was asleep and slept for over 3 hours!  So he's good right?  WRONG! 

THE NEXT DAY...
Ethan and I woke up and played around, I noticed he wasn't using his right arm like he usually does.  Then I took his arm to change him and he screamed and screamed and screamed.  Okay he just doesn't want to take off his pajamas... I was imagining him not using his arm... I think.  We got Josh up and decided to run to Burnsville for some errands and lunch.  In the car he just let him arm hang and did everything left handed.  Again I am imaging this I think.  We went to lunch and sure enough he picked up his fork with his left hand and his right arm hung at his side.  Nope I am not imagining this.  A quick call to my mom and she says bring him in right away, his arm is broke.  No that can't be.  I have never broke a bone and neither has Josh.

Off to Urgent Care we go....
Ethan hates the doctor's office and he hates it even more now since the doctor grabbed his arm and started to adjust his elbow.  I told the doctor that it isn't his elbow, it is right above his wrist.  We get sent for xrays.  Good thing I am pregnant so I couldn't be the bad guy and have to hold him down for xrays... good work Josh :)  We head back to the doctor and what was that?  say it again?  I was right?  It wasn't his elbow... he broke his ulna and radius right above the wrist.

Ethan got a splint put on and then we had to go to an orthopedic the following week for a new splint that he got off yesterday.  Thanks Kati for going with Josh!!! 

It was a long 3 weeks with no baths, no water table and no swimming in his new pool that Nana and Papa Hoen got him just days after the break.  Ethan got to swim yesterday and so it is all good and the arm is healed and better than ever.

Kortney and Elias felt so bad that Ethan broke his arm since each of them thought the other was with him when this happened but we all know Ethan doesn't stop and I don't blame anyone... This broken arm didn't even stop him... see pictures below... rosey cheeks mean he was busy- helped fix the shed with dad and papa - even got to sit on papa's motorcycle (papa took him a ride on the scooter later).  He loves his papa's "momo"



1 comment:

  1. And now onto the end of pregnancy post...keep going! No need to be bored on bed rest when there is blogging to be done!! :)

    ReplyDelete